Whether you're a freelance writer or own a small electrical business, if you want to get paid for your hard work, you must invoice your clients for the products and services you provide.
An easy, fast, and affordable way to ensure you're creating invoices correctly is to use a PDF invoice template. These valuable invoicing tools are free to use and offer unlimited customization options.
To save valuable time, here is everything you need to know about PDF Invoice Templates so that you can craft professional invoices that will keep your clients happy and get you paid fast.
What Is an Invoice Template?
An invoice template is a pre-made outline that includes specific invoicing elements so you can quickly fill in the information and send it to your client. Invoice templates are a valuable billing tool for many businesses because you can customize templates and save them for future use.
Why PDF Invoice Templates Are Important
Invoice templates are available in a variety of formats, including Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Google Docs, Google Sheets, and Open Office. Just like other formats, PDF invoice templates are free, easy-to-use, and fully customizable. However, there are a few other benefits that make the PDF format stand out, including:
- They are password-protected, which is helpful for a business that works with a lot of confidential information.
- You can easily add hyperlinks if you want your clients to visit another page or quickly access your email for feedback.
- PDFs are easy to search and retrieve.
What Should a PDF Invoice Template Include?
- “Invoice” as the Title – Clearly shows what type of document you are sending.
- Invoice Number – Each invoice you send is unique, and therefore, they should have unique numbers that identify them.
- Contact Information – Include the name, company name, address, phone number, and email for your business and the client.
- Invoice Date – Include the date you created the invoice to help track when the payment is due.
- What Was Purchased – Provide your client with an itemized list detailing all the agreed-upon services or goods provided.
- Cost and Quantity – Indicate the quantity of each product or service, as well as the price per line item.
- Subtotal and Total Amount Due – The subtotal is the amount before adding extra charges like the taxes or shipping, and the total is the amount inclusive of everything.
- Payment Terms & Conditions – Specify when payment is due, acceptable payment methods, and any penalties for late or missed payments, etc.
How to Create a PDF Invoice Template
There are two options when creating a PDF invoice template:
Option #1 – Create a PDF Invoice Template Manually
Use Word, Excel, or PDF editing software to create an outline from scratch using the elements listed above. Then you can use Adobe Acrobat to analyze and create a fillable PDF. Fill in the required information and save it to your computer.
Option #2 – Choose a Reliable Pre-Made Template Online
Finding a pre-made invoice template from a reliable website will save you time. It's easy: choose a PDF invoice template, customize the fields and layout as needed, and save it to use in the future.
Other Invoicing Tips
- Double-check for errors and miscalculations on every invoice template.
- Send invoices immediately after delivering a product or providing a service.
- Offer incentives for clients that pay on time and penalize those that pay too late.
- Before sending the actual invoice, send a pre-invoice reminder to give your clients time to prepare to make the necessary payments.
A Better Alternative to Using Invoice Templates
Believe it or not, there is a better alternative to using PDF invoice templates.
Invoice generators are cloud-based invoicing tools that:
- Save you time – You can easily create and send invoices in just a matter of seconds, from anywhere, anytime.
- Help you get paid fast – Accept multiple payment methods and send automatic payment reminders.
- Exude professionalism – Customize your invoices to suit your brand and unique client base.
- Keep you organized – Manage all your client profiles and invoices in a single location.
A reliable invoice generator like Invoicer is the easiest way to ensure your cash flow stays optimal.
Are you still debating: invoice template vs. invoice generator?
Why not try both options!
Head to Invoicer.ai to get unlimited access FREE for 14-days.